IT is the most strained department in any organization. People are so engrossed with the computer and internet technology that even a small tech fault annoys them as it affects their work. Eventually, the IT people have to suffer their annoyance. To make the systems work more smoothly and keep running uninterrupted, the hosting server administrators must follow certain key security practices.
According to Wikipedia, a system/server administrator is a person who is responsible for the upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems; especially multi-user computers, such as servers.
Security Essentials Guide for Server Administrators
Following are the few security essentials point for the server administrator:
Update security systems: As soon as an update is released, server administrators must take action and keep all the apps, tools and everything updated. This will strengthen the immunity of servers to combat against any newly developed intrusion element. Server admins should also maintain a testing environment for it to ensure things are working fine post-update.
Communicate with customers: Many times, problems aggravate due to poor communication or communication gap. Empathize with your customers and educate them in an effective way to deal with the issue. Show that you care. They must start trusting you for help. Also be honest with them, do not make fake promises. Be, soft-spoken, assertive in your approach while communicating with them. Never show up an aggression to the users. They are already in pain and to troubleshoot their issue is your job.
Vulnerability testing: Do a periodic vulnerability testing of the systems to take a corrective measure in advance. A proactive action can save you from any major technical or security issue.
Backup & Disaster Recovery: A regular and frequent backup is a professional approach. Built-in backup systems and a tested disaster recovery plan must be on the priority list of any server administrator.
Strong Passwords: A strong password may avert intrusions and keep the systems safe and secured. So both system administrators, as well as the clients, must follow a standard password protocol to prevent any threat.
Good system server administrators are needed for normal functioning & maintenance of any IT system & hence they should never stop learning, and combine multiple skill sets for good performance of IT systems.
Also, note the Seven Top Management Errors that can endanger your Computer Security
1. Assigning untrained people for maintaining security & also not providing training for the same.
2. Ignorance or insufficient knowledge about security standards.
3. Failure to understand the relationship of information security to the business problem and not resolving it.
4. Relying only on a firewall.
5. Failing to implement or update virus detection software.
6. Implementing firewalls with rules that allow malicious or dangerous traffic—incoming or outgoing.
7. Failing to educate users on what to look for and what to do when they see a potential security problem.
8. Pretend the problem will go away if they ignore it.
9. Ignoring encryption.
10. Double checking downloads.